Employment Posting: Training Program Intern
Training Program Intern
Reason position exists: To assist the Training Program Manager in key areas of MFA’s Immigrant and Minority training program.
Learning Objectives of Internship: To become familiar with the operations of a non-profit organization, to learn some of the barriers that immigrant farmers face, to become familiar with the operations of an organic vegetable farm.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
To assist the Training Program Manager in key areas of the training program, including but not limited to:
- Assist with class prep: making copies, class set-up, calling farmers, coming up with creative teaching aids.
- Training Tracking: assist with record keeping of training for reporting and with writing reports.
- Work with farmers in their fields to form relationships, assist with daily field work, gain an understanding of the challenges and rewards of farming.
- Write farmer stories for the website based on farmer interviews.
- Assist farmers in finding needed supplies on the farm, such as tools and supplies to purchase.
- Assist farmers in selling produce at farmers markets. Possibly attend a regular farmer’s market in the Twin Cities.
- Assist farmers in preparing produce for wholesale accounts. Possibly deliver to restaurants.
- Get trained in Organic Certification and work with farmers to complete their paperwork.
- Assist farmers with record keeping.
Details: This position is 24 hours/week starting as soon as possible and ending in October 2014. Includes some evening. The job takes place at Big River Farms, near Marine on St. Croix.
Compensation: This internship is for 24 hours/week, with a stipend of $600/month. Produce from the farm. Registration for all farm training classes, including summer field trips (a $260 value). Training on Organic Certification for a vegetable operation. Opportunity to complete a research project of interest with assistance of MFA staff.
- An interest in working with socially disadvantaged populations; immigrants, refugees and minorities.
- An interest in local food systems.
- An interest in Organic Vegetable production.
- Computer skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Physical strength and endurance for outdoor work.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to get to the farm, near Marine on St. Croix.
- A benefit, but not necessary; experience with farm work, bilingual, or experience in social justice work around food.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Katie Kubovcik at firstname.lastname@example.org.