The following positions are currently available at Minnesota Food Association:
Farm Operations Coordinator and Trainer
1. Support overall operations of Big River Farms (perform all basic maintenance of MFA vehicles, implements, and infrastructure)
2. Act as main point person for tractor work, irrigation, spraying, etc.
3. Train farmer participants in the areas of farm operations including irrigation, spraying and infrastructure, etc.
4. Support community outreach, program activities and organizational operations of Minnesota Food Association as needed/requested
·Experience planning, planting, growing and harvesting a variety of vegetables (i.e. experience in farming and/or operating a farm)
·Ability to maintain detailed records.
·Basic practical knowledge of farm equipment, maintenance and repairs
·Ability to transfer practical knowledge into effective training moments with farm participants.
·A demonstrated interest and ability to work with a diverse group of individuals
·Ability to manage multiple tasks and people simultaneously.
·Ability to conduct very basic building maintenance
·Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to effectively communicate with interns, staff, volunteers and training participants.
·Maturity, responsibility and dependability.
·Must have 2-3 years of experience in increasingly responsible positions on organic vegetable farms. Mechanical skills are necessary.
·A strong work ethic and can do attitude is essential.
·Basic computer skills (MSWord, email and internet)
·Ability to speak a shared language with program participants will be an advantage
MFA is located in the St. Croix River Valley, east of St. Paul, Minnesota. This is a full time, salaried position with seasonal schedule fluctuations. Flexibility in schedule is offered and at times, required. Salary range is $26-28K, based on experience. Benefits include health insurance as well as paid vacation, holidays and sick time.
Submit resume and statement of interest ASAP by email to: Joel@MNFoodAssociation.org. Deadline for applications is March 15, 2015
1. The primary role of the Farm Intern is to assist the Farm Program Manager in the overall smooth operation of MF’s Big River Farms.
2. Learning objectives of internship include: gaining familiarity with the operations of a farm-based non-profit organization, becoming familiar with the operations of an organic vegetable farm, and learning some of the barriers that immigrant farmers face while working alongside them.
·An interest in local food systems.
·An interest in Organic Vegetable production.
·Physical strength and endurance for outdoor work.
·Demonstrated ability to drive a large cargo van in a city environment.
·Valid driver’s license and clean driving record An interest in working with socially disadvantaged populations; immigrants, refugees and minorities.
·A benefit, but not necessary; bilingual, or experience in social justice work around food.
·Reliable, good attitude and self- motivated.
MFA is located in the St. Croix River Valley, east of St. Paul, Minnesota. This is a full time, seasonal position from June 1-Oct 31, 2015.
Compensation for this 40 hours/week internship include:
·A stipend of $1000/month.
·Produce from the farm.
·Registration for all farm training classes, including summer field trips (a $260 value).
·Opportunity to complete a research project of interest with assistance of MFA staff.
·Opportunity for on-farm housing.
Contact Joel Kellum, Production and Markets Manager at 651-433-3676 or email to: Joel@MNFoodAssociation.org. Deadline for application is April 1, 2015.